Manufacturing Process Engineer
This in an extraordinary opportunity to come in at the ground floor of a fast growing, ultra-high impact CleanTech startup. We at Blue Frontier are racing to solve arguably the biggest sustainability problem in the world using disruptive technology and business models. Air conditioning is the fastest growing use of electricity in the US and globally. If present trends continue, by 2050 air conditioning electricity consumption will be bigger than the combined electricity consumption of China and India today!
Blue Frontier’s AC system combines dew-point-style sensible cooling with liquid desiccant dehumidification to reduce electricity use by up to 90%. The desiccant is recharged and stored when electricity is the cleanest or lowest cost, and later used to deliver cooling when electricity is dirty or costly. These features enable our system to solve an array of today’s largest sustainability problems — from the Duck Curve to peak load management, from humidity control to integration of intermittent renewable resources.
Working in the Manufacturing department and reporting directly to the VP of Manufacturing, the Manufacturing Process Engineer will be responsible for defining detailed production layouts, designing, and implementing systems and equipment procedures, establishing production processes, testing, and monitoring production equipment, and assisting with assembly technicians on automation and productivity improvement via time and process optimization.
To the ideal candidate, this position is an opportunity to create products with the potential to literally change the world for the better. If you are creative, personable, highly responsible, passionate, intelligent, and driven, you should join us.
Roles and Responsibilities
Design and Implementation of Production Systems and Procedures
- Assist the VP of Manufacturing to design and implement production systems and procedures for assembly of the core components of Blue Frontier’s novel air conditioning systems.
- Assist with the design and planning of equipment, workstation, and workflow layouts.
- Establish and validate safe and efficient assembly procedures.
Test and monitor production equipment.
Process performance monitoring and improvement
- Monitor and measure process performance and quality through the production cycle.
- Identify opportunities for productivity, efficiency, and quality gains, applying lean manufacturing methodologies and other best practices as appropriate.
Skills and Capabilities
Education & Experience
- 5-6+ years relevant industry experience as a process engineer in manufacturing - preferably in HVAC equipment manufacturing, high volume mechanical engineering industrial product line, hands on process flow design and implementation.
- Proven experience and success setting up and optimizing manufacturing lines
Prior “shop floor” management experience, coordinating with assembly technicians
- Experience developing and executing projects to achieve company targets for Safety, Quality, Delivery, Cost and People (SQDCP).
- Experience developing cause and effect analysis, Process Failure Mode Effects Analysis (PFMEA) and control plan.
- Experience reducing costs of existing products through labor/machine efficiency, scrap reduction, OEE improvements.
- Bachelors’ or Masters’ Degree in Mechanical, Materials, Aerospace or Manufacturing Engineering from a top 100 university.
- CAD drafting ability in Autodesk and/or SolidWorks
- Good understanding of Bill of Materials, Quality ISO standards, PFMEA
- Understanding of manufacturing processes
- Process development in an integrated team environment in Project Management, Six Sigma, LEAN
- Proficient in Microsoft 365 software tools (Excel, PowerPoint, Project)
- Ability to promote a positive working culture and environment.
- Continuous Improvement and problem-solving.
Compensation and Benefits
Highly competitive salary commensurate with the position and level of capabilities of the applicant.
Medical and dental insurance. Paid vacation and holidays.
Location and Travel