Senior Software Engineer - Frontend Lead (Berkeley, California or US Remote)
Taking the next step in your career with UrbanFootprint will set you on the path to revolutionizing how organizations make decisions.
UrbanFootprint is the world’s first Urban Intelligence Platform – trusted by some of the largest energy utilities, financial institutions, government agencies, urban planning firms, and mobility companies in the US to provide geospatial insights and find signal through noise to inform site selection, infrastructure investment, resource distribution, and much more. We do this by unifying and normalizing previously siloed data on climate, environmental, urban, and socio-economic factors to surface powerful and actionable data insights.
UrbanFootprint’s mission is to Build Resilience by empowering organizations with critical data insights to drive decision making and allow them to Never Wonder Where. Our customers answer complex ‘where’ questions in minutes versus weeks, months, or years, such as:
- ”Where does the energy sector need to invest in electrification, decarbonization, and asset hardening in the face of climate threats?”…
- ”Where should cities and businesses invest to catch up with e-commerce, last-mile delivery, and new mobility?”…
- ”Where do governments deploy relief and new infrastructure to combat record hunger, homelessness, and hazard vulnerability?”…
Led by our co-founders, Joe DiStefano and Peter Calthorpe, we are tackling a $22B market opportunity. We’ve won awards including Inc. Magazine’s Best in Business and have been named one of Fast Company’s World’s Most Innovative Companies. We raised a $25M Series B and our investors include Social Capital, Citi Ventures, Valo Ventures, 2150.VC, A/O Proptech, Assured Guaranty, and Radicle Impact.
Don’t wonder where to go next, we’ve got the perfect spot for you!
As a socially-driven Lead Frontend Engineer you will be responsible for leading the evolution of UrbanFootprint’s beautiful geospatial web applications to support an ambitious vision for the future - an application that drives resilient decision intelligence through intersectional insights, intuitive maps and compelling narratives. Our customers work on some of the toughest problems we face today, from equitable community development and investment to adapting the power grid in the face of climate change and the energy transition. We are building a geospatial application that meets the needs of decision-makers at all levels, from data analysts with limited geospatial data experience, to program implementers and policy champions. As our Lead Frontend Engineer, you will be hands-on in designing, planning and building a modern, data rich user experience in a dynamic start-up environment.
As a product-minded technical leader, you understand how to advance existing applications to meet future needs while continuing to support today’s customers. You are pragmatic, skilled at making intentional tradeoffs and focusing a small team to have a big impact. You know that companies thrive on maintainable, well-documented code and look for simplicity rather than cleverness in implementation. You demonstrate deep ownership for everything from design to outcomes and mentor your peers to do the same. You are transparent with decision-making, actively seeking input from stakeholders, sourcing ideas from other engineers and communicating the hows and whys behind decisions. You are passionate about enabling others to succeed; you want to make our customers the hero by building an application that is powerful for advanced users and simple for those who ‘just need the answer’.
What You’ll Do
- Rapidly build features to a high standard of design polish and user delight, taking ownership from ideation through deployment
- Establish design patterns, standards, and practices to constantly improve code, delivery, and developer experience
- Ensure that releases are high quality, consistent, performant, and regression-free by implementing testing tools and processes
- Peer review code, documentation, and design proposals from teammates for style, maintainability, accessibility, security, compliance, and other best practices
- Produce and maintain clear documentation of features, systems, solutions, proposals, and decisions
- Collaborate with product and other technical leads to develop roadmaps that drive consistent delivery of value
- Work across functions to translate business requirements into technical specifications that align with customer value
- Clearly communicate the value of new features with non-technical stakeholders
- Pair program with engineers of all experience levels and disciplines
- Create and contribute to system and architectural designs
Your background likely includes:
you have deep experience building sophisticated browser-based web applications, a passion for data visualization, and the versatility to collaborate across software engineering disciplines on feature design, architecture, roadmaps, and execution.
- 7+ years of professional frontend engineering experience
- 5+ years of React and Redux (strongly preferred) or equivalent development experience
- 3+ years of experience with geospatial data visualization
- Demonstrated experience refactoring, modernizing and rewriting complex, legacy code bases
- Experience developing geospatial and map-based applications
- Deep understanding of developing applications for the browser
- Experience optimizing React apps for targeted audiences and use cases
- Fluent in Typescript and engaged in its community
- Fluent with modern development, build, deployment, and automation tools
- Experience estimating engineering efforts, scoping work, and tracking progress
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to rapid change, preferably in a startup environment
- Working familiarity of backend development and basic Python proficiency
- Ability to identify knowledge gaps and support team members to fill them
- Visual design oriented, with a passion for creating rich, delightful user experiences
- Google BigQuery and/or PostGIS experience
- Professional level GCP or AWS certification
- Security by design, testing and remediation experience (e.g. OWASP Top 10)
- Passion for instrumentation, metrics, automation, and short feedback loops
- Experience working in a SOC-II environment
- Aligned with holistic engineering theory and practice
- A background in QA or as SDET to add expertise in this area on our team
- A passion for urban planning, climate resilience, social equity, and leveraging data to facilitate a more equitable and resilient society
Target salary and bonus compensation based on experience is $195,000 - $210,000. Stock options are also part of the compensation package.
UrbanFootprint is committed to diversity in its workforce. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.