Senior Engineering Manager
Taking the next step in your career with UrbanFootprint will set you on the path to revolutionizing how organizations make decisions.
UrbanFootprint is the world’s first Urban Intelligence Platform – trusted by some of the largest energy utilities, financial institutions, government agencies, urban planning firms, and mobility companies in the US to provide geospatial insights and find signal through noise to inform site selection, infrastructure investment, resource distribution, and much more. We do this by unifying and normalizing previously siloed data on climate, environmental, urban, and socio-economic factors to surface powerful and actionable data insights.
UrbanFootprint’s mission is to Build Resilience by empowering organizations with critical data insights to drive decision making and allow them to Never Wonder Where. Our customers answer complex ‘where’ questions in minutes versus weeks, months, or years, such as:
- ”Where does the energy sector need to invest in electrification, decarbonization, and asset hardening in the face of climate threats?”…
- ”Where should cities and businesses invest to catch up with e-commerce, last-mile delivery, and new mobility?”…
- ”Where do governments deploy relief and new infrastructure to combat record hunger, homelessness, and hazard vulnerability?”…
Led by our co-founders, Joe DiStefano and Peter Calthorpe, we are tackling a $22B market opportunity. We’ve won awards including Inc. Magazine’s Best in Business and have been named one of Fast Company’s World’s Most Innovative Companies. We raised a $25M Series B and our investors include Social Capital, Citi Ventures, Valo Ventures, 2150.VC, A/O Proptech, Assured Guaranty, and Radicle Impact.
Don’t wonder where to go next, we’ve got the perfect spot for you!
As a socially-driven Senior Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for leading the team that evolves UrbanFootprint’s beautiful geospatial web application to support an ambitious vision for the future - an application that drives resilient decision intelligence through intersectional insights, intuitive maps and compelling narratives. Our customers work on some of the toughest problems we face today, from equitable community development and investment to adapting the power grid in the face of climate change and the energy transition. We are building a geospatial application that meets the needs of decision-makers at all levels, from data analysts with limited geospatial data experience, to program implementers and policy champions. As our Senior Engineering Manager, you will be a hands-on leader, crafting a team culture of excellence that supports rapid delivery of a modern, data rich user experience in a dynamic start-up environment.
Business-minded and deeply technical, you are skilled at navigating tradeoffs between product requirements and technical constraints, and connecting tech-driven initiatives with larger business goals and customer outcomes. You are methodical and tenacious in how you approach technical problems, comfortable gathering the data you need to get to the root cause of the problem, deep diving into the code base, and thinking broadly about solutions. Operationally rigorous, you set a high bar for your team, expecting end-to-end ownership on tasks large and small. Comfortable managing a team, you are equally skilled at developing early- and mid-career staff, and contributing personally to technical implementation. Open-minded and user-focused, you’ve seen that great ideas can come from anywhere and you actively solicit input from a broad group of technical and business stakeholders. You know that healthy conflict and debate are vital to creating a highly performant team and you actively encourage open and honest discussion.
What you’ll do
- Partner with internal stakeholders to define an engineering strategy that supports business, financial, operational, and product goals.
- Represent the Engineering function to key external stakeholders.
- Ensure that engineering and product visions are aligned and that key engineering team members are front and center of product definition.
- Manage execution and delivery through active management of product development timelines, setting realistic expectations, and applying rigorous scoping practice.
- Promote and mentor engineering team members in cloud-native architecture design patterns and development strategies.
- Oversee engineering’s contributions to UrbanFootprint’s Agile product development process.
- Champion best practice engineering principles for building on AWS and GCP.
- Drive continuous improvement in software development, resilience, and operational excellence.
- Grow organizational capability within the engineering team. Recruit outstanding talent and foster an environment where that talent can thrive.
- Build an engineering culture where all team members are engaged with its partners in Product and Data Engineering.
- Manage and develop UrbanFootprint’s crew of senior software engineers. Provide advancement and professional development opportunities.
Your background likely includes
- 5+ years of experience leading engineering teams.
- Impact from driving operational excellence including an understanding of SRE principles, observability, cost-optimized architecture design, data privacy, and security.
- Experience building process and scaling engineering teams and infrastructure at a fast-growing startup.
- High EQ leader with excellent communication skills. Able to earn trust/respect, rally a team around shared goals, and bring out the best in people.
- Strong strategic business acumen and problem-solving ability, and a constant champion of continuous improvement.
- Experience with any of React, Python, AWS, GCP, K8s/microservice patterns.
- A track record of success working with Product and technical leadership to push product development forward.
- Fluent with modern development, build, deployment, and automation tools.
- Experience estimating engineering efforts, scoping work, and tracking progress.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to rapid change, preferably in a startup environment.
- Ability to identify knowledge gaps and support team members to fill them.
- Demonstrated experience refactoring, modernizing and rewriting complex, legacy code bases.
- Aligned with holistic engineering theory and practice.
- A background in QA or as SDET to add expertise in this area.
- Experience developing geospatial and map-based applications.
- Deep understanding of developing applications for the browser.
- Google BigQuery and/or PostGIS experience.
- Professional level GCP or AWS certification.
- Security by design, testing and remediation experience (e.g. OWASP Top 10).
- Passion for instrumentation, metrics, automation, and short feedback loops.
- Experience working in a SOC-II environment.
- A passion for urban planning, climate resilience, social equity, and leveraging data to facilitate a more equitable and resilient society.
- Grown teams from 5 to 50.
Target salary and bonus compensation based on experience is $210,000 to $240,000. Stock options are also part of the compensation package.
UrbanFootprint is committed to diversity in its workforce. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.